My refund says the $ amout I should get in total after I pay my state taxes. Arent I supposed to get the full federal and then pay the state myself?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes you get the full federal refund (less any TurboTax fees that you choose to pay with your refund). You arrange separately to pay any state taxes owed. State taxes cannot be paid from the federal refund.

My refund amount still says the amount I'm getting back minus the amount of the state I owe, as opposed to saying the full amount I am getting back, so I did not proceed with the payment to process the return. Why is the amount to be refunded summarized like this? After paying for the processing will it show the full amount being refunded?

On my CD/download product, with the tax return open, I see two refund/tax due monitors side by side at the top of the screen. One is for federal the other is for state. Where are you seeing a summary showing the federal minus the state?

When I click the menu on the left side, I see what I am getting from federal and what I owe state separately. When I go to choose how I am paying to process the returns, I see the amount minus what I owe. So let's say I am getting 1000 fed and I owe 400 to state, the page where I am choosing my payment options show I am getting $600 back. That's what I mean.

I don't have access to that part of an online return.