Mholl039

Line 42 of the Schedule D Tax worksheet says to use Tax Comp Wrksht, where is it? Found form on IRS web site and result in TT doesn't match a manual calc, $138 diff. Why?

Just checking some calculations and focusing on line 42 on the Schedule D Tax Worksheet.  It says to use the Tax Computation worksheet for my income level.  I can't find it in Turbo Tax, searching the web site I found where TT doesn't show this calculation, it's all internal.  I find that frustrating since I can't check the number.  So I went to the IRS site to find the worksheet.  When I do the calculation manually using the IRS form I'm coming up with a number that is $138 less than what TT calculated.  Without having the means to determine how TT is calculating this number I can't determine which number is correct.  Can someone help me understand how TT calculates this number?

TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The "Tax Computation Worksheet" is on page 79 of the Form 1040 instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

As you say, that's an internal calculation, and a fairly simple one, so the program isn't cluttered up with that worksheet. If using that Wks you come up with a different amount than TT did on the Sch D Tax Wks line 42, you'll have to provide your Sch D Tax Wks line 19 amount and filing status so we can double-check.

Mholl039

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Is there a way to do this without creating a thread that everyone can see?