dickster

Why does TT2017 not allow me to use TT2016 when I choose a 'tax2016' file?

In prior years, when I clicked on a 'tax20xx' file, TT20xx was launched.  But that doesn't seem to be true anymore.  I'm on MacOS Sierra, and when I double-click on a 'tax2016' file, TT2017 launches and wants me to 'transfer' it to a new tax return.  Every year, as it progresses, I update a clone of my 'tax2016' original file called 'estimate.tax2016'.  I used to copy/paste from 2015 to 2016 in Forms Mode.  I can't do that easily anymore with tax2016 and tax2017.

I found a work-around which requires I launch TT2016 from Applications, and 'Open' my 'estimate.tax2016' file.  While that's waiting, I can then launch TT2017 from Applications and 'Open' my 'tax2017' file.  I then have two windows (like I did in prior years), and can copy from 2016 and paste to 2017.  This is very handy for forms like Schedule E.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Why do you need to copy & paste when the program will transfer all the info for you ? Seems like a big waste of time & effort.

Let the 2017 program  transfer in the 2016 info as it is designed to do.

And working directly in the forms mode is not recommended as it can void the accuracy guarantee and keep you from being able to efile the return.
dickster

Sorry, you're wrong about that.  TT does NOT transfer 'data' subject to changes year-to-year.  It only transfers the categories of data, and not the values associated with them.  That's why I maintain a separate 'estimate/tax2016'.  I can't import that because its calculations are all wrong, and don't represent my original 2016 tax return.  But having a template with most of the data for 2017 is useful.

The program should never and will never just copy last year's figures to the new tax year since they are not always the same  ... the user is required to enter the current years figures manually even if they are the same as last year's.   Assets are pulled forward and the depreciation is automatically calculated but nothing more.  If your prior year info that imports from a filed return is wrong then that is because you changed something since you filed as the figures just don't change themselves.

Good luck with whatever system you choose to use.
dickster

All of this commentary doesn't 'answer' the 'question'.

The Mac tries to use the latest version for the software.    Open the TurboTax 2016.app, then use File -> Open Tax Return.  Locate the xxx.tax2016 data file that you want to open.  That is a function of the Mac OS, not TurboTax.

(You can select the xxx.tax2016 data file and do a File -> Get Info.    The "Open with" should show TurboTax 2016.app, but I think the Mac OS 10.12 ignores that if there is a later version of the application.)
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

You can also select the xxx.tax2016 file and right-click (or Control+Click) on the file and "Open with" and select TT 2016 (which should be the default).  TT 2016 should now launch and open the data file.

You are also "supposed" to be able to to "Always Open With" but that feature does not seem to stick when I try it.

1)  From the OS X Finder, right-click (or Control+Click) on the file to change the default app for and hold down the OPTION key so that the “Open With” menu becomes “Always Open With”

2)  Continue to hold OPTION and select the application you want to set as the default for this file
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

What kinds of things am I unable to transfer in TurboTax?

Our popular year-over-year transfer feature does have its limitations. See the questions in the Related Information section to find out more.

Related Information:

·         How do I transfer last year's return to TurboTax Online?

·         Transfer last year's return to 2017 TurboTax for Windows

·         Transfer last year's return to 2017 TurboTax for Mac

·         Can I transfer from a PDF to TurboTax Online?

·         Can I transfer from a PDF to 2017 TurboTax for Windows?

·         Can I transfer from a PDF to 2017 TurboTax for Mac?

·         Can I transfer info from a 2015 or earlier return into TurboTax 2017?

·         Can I transfer last year's tax file into Free Edition?