Do I completely remove a dependent that lived me all year, if my ex-spouse is claiming her; even if I answered yes the question that she is being claimed by someone else?

I have 4 dependents, who lived with me all year.  However, I have an agreement with my ex that she can claim one this year.  The program asks me to list all of my dependents, even if someone else is claiming them.  I answered yes to the question that someone else is claiming this dependent and it states that I can get the EIC or Dependent Care Credit only, however, my return was still rejected because my ex has already filed her return and claimed that dependent.  So, do I remove that dependent completely from the list or is there another way to correct it?

TomD8
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You'll need to print your return and file it by mail.  Be sure to sign it and attach any required documents, such as a copy of your W-2.

The IRS computers shouldn't have rejected your return, but sometimes they do when they see a duplicate SSN.  See this previous TT answer for more detail:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3558510-can-i-claim-eic-head-of-household-if-other-parent-is-claim...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post