New Member

Christopher is a 17 year old minor. Why does he have to pay into federal?

I am his mother trying to file his taxes for him. He was 16 when he started his part time job in 2016. Why does he have to pay into his federal taxes?
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Even though you claim him as a dependent, he must still file his own tax return if he had earned (W-2) income over $6,300; or self-employed (1099-MISC) net income over $400; or unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) over $1,050.

Even if his income is below these thresholds, he'd still have to file a return to get a refund of any withheld taxes.

IMPORTANT:  If he does file a tax return, be sure he checks the box on it that someone else can claim him as a dependent.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**