tdmzb

My kids Claimed themselves on their Returns and they already received their refunds. My Return gets refused now because I need to Claim them as Dependents. What can I do?

My two children Claimed themselves on their returns and e-files already. They received their refunds already. I'm doing my Return now and when I e-filed, it kicked back because I claimed them as Dependents. What can I do to get my Return filed without it failing to be accepted?

Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You will have to mail your return, since they have already efiled. They will need to amend their returns and pay back any refund they were not entitled to. You will not have to wait for their amendments. You can mail in your return immediately.

You can amend returns that have been accepted by the IRS. If your return is pending, you won't be able to make any changes until it's accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you don't know your e-file status, we can help you check it.

Select a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return, which means you don't have to get it done by the April 15 filing deadline.

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Under the new tax laws (elimination of the personal exemptions and doubling of the standard deduction), your children are unlikely to owe any more tax. But they still need to amend to unclaim themselves.

You do not need to wait for their amended returns to be accepted (or even mailed) . You may file your paper return now.