ndivey

I entered housing in box 14 and it will not ask the religious employment questions so I can answer the correct answer for self employment tax?

I have tried several times entering both "housing" and "clergy housing". I need to change the self employment preference.
ndivey

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

turbo tax will not handle a housing amount with 0.00 salary and when I want only SE tax it also adds it to wages and includes income tax
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

You might want to try entering $1 as wages for Box 1 of your W-2.  Hopefully, TurboTax will accept it so you can continue.  If not, you may need to purchase the CD/Download version of Home & Business which allows you to have access to the SE adjustment worksheet in Forms so that you can adjust the allowance for the lesser of the allowance, the actual expenses, or the fair market value. The difference, if any, would be taxable for income tax purposes.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Hi.  The software will not pick up information from box 14 of the W-2.  You will need to continue past the W-2 screen (after reporting your W-2 information). 

When you get to Box 14on the W-2, enter "Clergy Housing" followed by the amount.  The allowance will automatically be classified as "other-not on the list above."

Continue through the screens until you see "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2" check the box for Religious employment, then select Continue.

On the following screen, choose You earned this income for clergy employment and select Continue

Enter your housing allowance in the Tell Us About your Clergy Housing screen 

Enter the lesser of 

• Your qualified housing expenses actual expenses
  • The fair rental value of your housing expenses
  • Your housing or parsonage allowance

The software will calculate your Housing Allowance - Qualifying Expenses = Taxable Income

View solution in original post