New Member

I am forming an S-Corp and am wondering how to handle the percentage of taxes I count as regular income - do I get withholding accounts or just file as SE tax?

Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The IRS position is that an S-Corporation MUST pay a reasonable compensation to an officer before non-wage distributions may be made. The reason is that they feel that non-wage distributions when no wages are paid is an avoidance of social security taxes. From the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=203100,00.html :

"Reasonable Compensation

S corporations must pay reasonable compensation to a shareholder-employee in return for services that the employee provides to the corporation before non-wage distributions may be made to the shareholder-employee. The amount of reasonable compensation will never exceed the amount received by the shareholder either directly or indirectly.

Distributions and other payments by an S corporation to a corporate officer must be treated as wages to the extent the amounts are reasonable compensation for the service rendered to the corporation.

Several court cases support the authority of the IRS to reclassify other forms of payments to a shareholder-employee as a wage expense and subject to employment taxes."

The page cites Joly vs. Commissioner, 211 F.3d 1269 (6th Cir., 2000) as one judicial finding on the IRS's authority to reclassify distributions to wages subject to employment taxes. Factors to determine reasonable compensation are given in the ruling.

The AICPA has an interesting article on this topic here: http://www.aicpa.org/publications/taxadviser/2011/august/pages/nitti_aug2011.aspx

You also might want to read a lively discussion on the Tax Almanac website here: http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php/Discussion_Forum_-_Tax_Questions . The substance of the discussion seems to be that taking a reasonable salary is not optional and, if you took distributions with no salary, the distributions should be changed to salary with appropriate employment tax returns being filed (late, if necessary.)

The fastest way to get audited as an S-Corporation is to not report wages to officers on page 1 of the return.

If this is something new to you I HIGHLY suggest you seek a local professional to get educated and get your books & payroll set up correctly ... making a mistake in these areas can cost you a lot later in penalties.

Level 9

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I agree, go to a tax professional NOW, before you start the corporation.  You really need to know what is involved before you make a decision on if it should be a S-corporation or not.  In many cases, a S-corporation is not the best option, and could cost you more than other options.