New Member

How can I correct a double payment sent to IRS

I asked for direct debit but made error and sent my payment through credit card also.  Funds not withdrawn until end of March.  This means double payment.  Can I cancel either?

New Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Please contact IRS E-file payment services at (888) 353-4537. They will be able to see the payments you have set up and correct this.