racielpn

Refund amount changed after updates

I filed my 2017 federal taxes and got a refund of $2534.

Now after applying updates to TurboTax, when I open my tax file it says refund is $1694. Why would that change if I already received the full refund?

If I go to Amend a Filed Return (just to test something), the amended return starts with me owing $840, even before changing anything.

What the problem with TurboTax?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I know this sounds wacky, but your updates to your software clearly "corrected" the error in your originally filed return.  You can choose to wait until the IRS notifies you of the mistake, or you can go ahead and amend the return.  I assume that your 1040X will indicate what has changed since you originally filed.

I am not a TurboTax employee; I'm a user like you.  But I've made it habit to wait until later in the tax season to file for this very reason.  I've often had updates quite late in the season that do change my refund/payment amount.

This year's software may have been more problematic for TT to keep up with due to the tax law changes.  So very sorry. See this TurboTax FAQ:

"Why did the TurboTax Refund Meter change after filing?"

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4242473

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***