jamesonk

In 2016, I paid a company over $600 for carpet cleaning services. Did I need to file a 1099-MISC? If so, did I miss the deadline? If so, what are my options now?

WillK
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

:f you are an individual who paid the company you do not need to do anything, individuals do not send 1099's.

If this was for a rental or a business then yes, you do need to issue a 1099 to the person who completed the work.

To file a 1099 you can use Quick Employer forms to create and file the 1099: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301452

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jamesonk

Yes, this was for a rental.  However, it was not an individual that performed the work.  It was a company that performed the work.  Do I need to file a 1099-MISC when a company provided the service?
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Since it was a company that performed the service for your rental, you would need to issue the 1099-MISC as long as the company was not a S-corporation or a Corporation. You can call and ask the company what kind of entity they are. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jamesonk

I am checking on the type of company.  I believe they are an LLC.  Which, according to the instructions for the 1099-MISC, would exclude the requirement to file a 1099-MISC.  However, if I do need to file a 1099-MISC, should I expect a penalty for filing the form late?