ikobisher

RSU is reported in W2 box 14.Should I answer yes to question:check that the following employee stock plan amounts were included in box 1 wages. It is on 14, not on box 1.

I have gone thru the exercise of entering stock purchases and sales.  My employer has in my W2 a section that lists the earnings, and it shows the right amounts for ESPP and RSU that Turbotax calculated, but the RSU is reported in box 14, while I assume the ESPP is in box 1.  So to the question that Turbotax asks, if the income is reported on box 1, should I answer Yes, even though RSU is in box 14 ?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

"while I assume the ESPP is in box 1."

Never assume anything. 

Box 14 is, in the main, a "memo" box where your employer provides you with information.  That dollar amount and whatever title the employer used for the RSU shares is telling you that that amount is included in Box 1.  So you should be able to answer "Yes" to that question.

However, if compensation associated with the sale of the shares acquired via the ESPP was included on your W-2 then that too should be disclosed to you in Box 14.  The fact that it's not disclosed to you suggests to me that your sale of the ESPP stock was a "qualified" sale and most employers do not include that amount in the W-2, but it's still compensation that you need to report.  So that suggests you should answer "No" to the ESPP question.  TurboTax will then include that compensation on line 7 of your Form 1040.  You need to check this out.

Tom Young