Not applicable

I was a barista last year and my income was treated as a contractor. Is there any way to contest this/is there any value for my taxes to contest?

I worked at a coffee shop for six months last year, and was paid as a contractor (i.e. my income wasn't taxed and I received a 1099-misc). I realize now I should have been paid as an employee since I was doing work that should be classified as an employee.

Is there any way to contest this on my tax return? Since I have yet to pay any taxes on this income, is contesting it even worth it? Clearly I will owe taxes on this income, but if I was an employee (falsely classified as a contractor) I think my employer is responsible for some taxes, correct?

New Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You are correct.  The following provides detailed instruction about the steps you need to take to handle this income on your return.