acprice37

Gifted grain, how do we report it as income?

My wife received money from the sale of grain gifted by her father.  We did not receive any kind of 1099-* form, how do we enter it on our tax form?  The grain was from the previous year's crop
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Cash received as a gift is not considered as income and is not reported on your tax return. There is no entries for cash gift on your tax return. Had your wife received the grain, then sold it, she would then have to report the sale. Here is data entry for the sale of grain:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down to Investment Income
  4. Select Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other - Answer No to the 1099-B question; the category is "Everything Else" follow the prompts

Please refer to the link below on the basis property received as a gift:

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

View solution in original post

acprice37

Cash was not the gift: "gifted grain"
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Thank you for the clarification, I have edited my answer to account for the data entry and details on basis on gifted property. I hope you will find it helpful.
GP25

I received a gift of grain from my dad; the grain was in another state (than where I live), so when I sold it, I receive a check from the grain elevator in that state. Do I report it on my resident state income tax return or do I report it on a return from the state it was sold in?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, what state was the grain sold from because each state has their own tax code?

@GP25

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"