I have completed my 2018 tax return and I don't know my AGI number. How do I continue?

DanielG

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you need your AGI from last year to e-file but are having trouble finding it, you can just print and mail your return (you don't need your AGI for that).

You can find your 2017 AGI:

• In TurboTax Online or the mobile app under Your tax returns & documents
  • On your originally-filed 2017 tax return, form 1040 (Line 37), 1040A (Line 21), 1040EZ (Line 4), 1040NR (Line 36), Form 1040X (Line 1, column A)
  • By ordering a free transcript of your return on the IRS Get Transcript  site or buying a full copy of your return by following the instructions here.

The IRS requires your AGI for identity verification (if you didn't file in 2017, enter 0 as your AGI) when e-filing. But as long as you filed your taxes with us last year and are using the same account, your 2017 AGI will transfer automatically.

If your 2017 AGI didn't transfer, you might be in the wrong account.

How to make sure you’re in the right accountWhere to find your 2017 AGI in TurboTax Online/Mobile
  1. Make sure you’re signed in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Select Tax Home from the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select 2017.
  4. Select View adjusted gross Income (AGI).
Where to find your 2017 AGI on your tax return

The best place to get this number is from your originally-filed 2017 federal tax return. You can’t get it from a W-2, 1099, or other income statement.

Choose the 1040 form you filed last year.  Only use your originally-filed 2017 federal tax return, even if you amended it later.

Select your form to see where the AGI is located on each form.

Form 1040 – Line 37

Form 1040A – Line 21

Form 1040EZ – Line 4

Form 1040NR – Line 36

Form 1040X – Line 1, Column A

How can I get my agi number 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

There are a few places you can get your 2018 AGI:

• If you filed your 2018 taxes with TurboTax, sign in and go down to Your tax returns & documents. Select View adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • If you didn’t file your taxes with TurboTax in 2018, the best place to get last year's AGI is from the 1040 form you filed with the IRS. Look on page 2, line 7. If you filed a 1040NR, it'll be on line 35.
  • If you're having trouble locating your 2018 return, the second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2018 return. Both versions will include your AGI.

If you didn't file a 2018 federal tax return (or you haven't filed one yet), enter 0 as your AGI.

Note that if you can't find your AGI, you can "Print and Mail" your return.  The AGI is required by the IRS as an e-file security measure.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"