Can I file a 2019 return if I haven't filed my 201... - Community `

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Get the latest stimulus news and tax filing updates.
Intuit

Can I file a 2019 return if I haven't filed my 2018 return yet?

There's no law or rule that says you have to file your 2018 return before you can do your 2019 return.

However, it's best to prepare your 2018 return first, if possible. This gives you several advantages:

• You'll be able transfer your 2018 data to your 2019 return, which saves time and prevents data entry errors.
  • You'll have the answers to certain program questions that involve last year's return (and you'll avoid having to amend your return if you answered them incorrectly).
  • You'll be able to use the AGI method to electronically sign your 2019 return so you can e-file it.

If you're not able to file your 2018 return before filing your 2019 taxes, that's OK. Just be sure to review your 2019 return after you've filed 2018. Should your 2019 return need corrections based on info in your 2018 return, you may need to amend.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post