Can I file a 2020return if I haven't filed my 2019...

United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
TurboTax Help
Intuit

Can I file a 2020return if I haven't filed my 2019 return yet?

There's no law or rule that says you have to file your 2019 return before you can do your 2020 return.

However, it's best to prepare your 2019 return first, if possible. This gives you several advantages:

• You'll be able transfer your 2019 data to your 2020 return, which saves time and prevents data entry errors.
  • You'll have the answers to certain program questions that involve last year's return (and you'll avoid having to amend your return if you answered them incorrectly).
  • You'll be able to use the AGI method to electronically sign your 2020 return so you can e-file it.

If you're not able to file your 2019 return before filing your 2020 taxes, that's OK. Just be sure to review your 2020 return after you've filed 2019. Should your 2020 return need corrections based on info in your 2019 return, you may need to amend.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post