Can I claim energy-efficient appliances or energy-...

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

English Français
Get the latest stimulus news and tax filing updates.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim energy-efficient appliances or energy-saving home improvements?

You can't claim Energy Star appliances or water-saving improvements like low-flow toilets, low-flow shower-heads, or xeriscaping on your federal return. However, many state and local governments and utility companies offer incentives or rebates for energy- or water-saving home improvements. An online search will reveal what your state has to offer (for example, you might search for Arizona toilet rebate or California water saving incentives).

Under the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit, you can get a federal tax credit for installing alternative energy equipment, such as solar electric property, solar water heaters, geothermal heat pumps, small wind turbines, and fuel cell property.

If you made energy efficient improvements to your home like energy-saving roofs, windows, skylights, and doors, you'll be able to claim the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit for 10% of amounts paid for qualified energy efficiency improvements, up to a lifetime cap of $500 or fixed dollar amounts ranging from $50 to $300 for energy efficient property, including furnaces, boilers, biomass stoves, heat pumps, water heaters, central air conditioners, and circulating fans.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Privacy Settings