Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to claim the spouse amount (line 30300) but cannot find the right deduction. Can someone walk me through it?

1 Reply

I am trying to claim the spouse amount (line 30300) but cannot find the right deduction. Can someone walk me through it?

TurboTax automatically claims this amount for you if you are eligible. (if spouse's income is lower than $13808)

It's calculated based on you and your spouse/partner's combined net income, so it's important to enter your spouse/partner's income into your return, whether you're preparing your returns together in TurboTax or not.

If using TurboTax CD/Download and filling a spousal return, please follow the steps below to enter the needed information in your return:

• Click on the Easy Steps icon at the top left of the screen (if you are in the Forms view)
  • Click on Contact Info and on your spouse's page you will see "Are you eligible to claim the spousal amount?" click yes.
  • Then you will click on the Forms icon at the top right of the screen which will open up your return.
  • Scroll down to line 30300 to see the spousal amount has been entered.

If using TurboTax Online, you will go to the left side menu and see a drop-down arrow below the refund/due amount.

• click on the arrow and scroll down to click on View detailed tax summary under your name
  • Here scroll down to line 30300 to view the amount allowed for the spousal amount.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.