Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

What do I do if IRS won’t accept prior year AGI?

1 Reply
Level 4

What do I do if IRS won’t accept prior year AGI?

In order to e-file through TurboTax, you will need to find the 2017 AGI amount that matches what the IRS has on record for you, otherwise, you will need to file by mail.  In hopes of helping you find your correct AGI, here are some tips.

Your AGI can be found on your 2017 Tax Return (Not your W2):

If you filed a:

  • 2017 Form 1040: your AGI can be found on line 37
  • 2017 Form 1040A: your AGI can be found on line 21
  • 2017 Form 1040 EZ: your AGI can be found on line 4

If you do not have a copy of your 2017 Tax Return, you can order a free transcript online from the IRS by clicking here: Get My Transcript.  Your IRS transcript will include your AGI from last year.

*If you did not file a tax return for 2017, you should use -0- as your AGI.

*If you filed jointly in 2017, the AGI amount will be the exact same number for both of you.

*If you Amended your return, use the AGI from your original return, NOT your Amended Return.

For more information, you can check out the TurboTax FAQ link for more details on Finding Your 2017 AGI.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings