Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Test Discussion

Test discussion

4 Replies
Expert Alumni

Test Discussion

No, you cannot file a return as you did in 2018. Per Taxation of Dual-Status Aliens you must file 1040-NR - U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return or 1040-NR-EZ - U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens With No Dependents if you are a dual-status taxpayer who gives up residence in the United States during the year and who is not a U.S. resident on the last day of the tax year. Write "Dual-Status Return" across the top of the return.


Attach a statement to your return to show the income for the part of the year you are a resident. You can use Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return as the statement, but be sure to mark "Dual-Status Statement" across the top.


TurboTax does not support the Form 1040NRYou will need to use Sprintax to file a Form 1040NR.  If you have questions you can contact Sprintax Help for assistance.


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 2

Test Discussion


Level 12
Level 12

Test Discussion

@karansarao , having read through @KurtL1  reply and your comments thereafter ---

(a) did you just leave  USA or did you terminate your  H-1 visa ( I am assuming that  you were  Resident Alien for tax purposes in 2018).

(b) if your visa was terminated i.e. you officially became a Non-Resident Alien from  Aug 2019, then yes you would be dual status alien for the year. This is  handled as follows ( keeping in mind that while  a resident for tax purposes you are taxed on world income  and  as a non-resident you are taxed by the USA only on US sourced / connected income):

(1) you file as Married Filing Joint  for the period  that you were a resident alien for tax purposes , declaring your world income --- on form 1040.  You can use TurboTax for this.   One limitation here is that because standard deduction cannot be prorated , you must use itemized deduction ( obviously covering the period  under review);

(2) Fill out a form 1040-NR using Married  status declaring all US sourced / connected income during the period  from leaving the USA till the end of the year ( because you are a calendar  year filer )

(3) Print both the returns, sign / date  and write on top of the 1040 -- DUAL STATUS FILER.

(4) mail the returns together.  This will require  human intervention  and  thus properly handled.  Note that if the US sourced / connected income during  Non-Resident Alien period is ZERO, you still need to file  the return , just to close out the file.

(5) suggest filing by April tax due date

(6) you obviously have  to file a separate Canadian return -- suggest using TurboTax ( Canada version )

Hope this helps


Namaste ji

Level 2

Test Discussion


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings