Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Didn't receive 1099-MISC but need to account for income

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

What type of income was it?  Contract work or something different?

Yes - It was a freelance job with the company Mediacom.  I just overestimated my income on the 1099-MISC since I already had their ID number from previous years 1099s

Did you already file?  Or are you just asking where to enter the income since their is no 1099-MISC?  You would not enter it in the 1099-MISC section if you don't have the form.  This is because companies sometimes change their structure or ownership and end up with a different EIN number.

I was working on filing now and filled out the 1099-MISC with the companies info and overestimating my income but have not submitted yet.  Where would I instead enter this information since I need to account for it?  If not the 1099-MISC then using what to account for the money?

I posted the instructions below for you.

Thanks for that - I set up the Schedule C and the business profile but I get stuck when I have to find the "Business income and expenses" and so on . . . it just keeps prompting me to list the income as 1099-MISC, additional income, uncommon income or rebates/refunds

As long as you are still in the Business Section, then select Additional Income.

For self-employment, if you didn't receive a 1099-MISC for that income, it will be entered into the Business area of TurboTax in the Business Income section, then General Income (skip past the 1099-MISC area). 

How to get to that area  While inside the software and working on your return, type Schedule C in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  There will be a popup that says Jump to Schedule C.  Select that to get to the general area. 

When you set up your business, you can use your own name, address, and social security number (if you don't have a business name or EIN). Then, when done with the Business Profile:

• go to Business Income and Expenses
  • select Edit next to your business (if it is there)
  • scroll to Business Income 
  • on the next screen, you will see a place to enter a Form 1099-MISC (since you didn’t receive one, you can Skip past that)
  • then, on the next screen, you will see General Income (for income received that is not on a 1099-MISC form)
  • enter a description for the income (ex. Services, or Consulting, Customer Sales) and the amount

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies