While in rehab we had to pay for his clothes, personal items, soap, shampoo etc. They did provide the food but we provided everything else. Also he has always lived with us. He was with us from Jan.1 to Feb 10, went to jail till July and them rehab. Got out in Dec. and we paid for him to live in a sober living house, bought him a car and paid his insurance and food, gas etc. We also paid over 50 dollars a week while he was in jail in addition to $2,500 for his attorney. Can we claim any o f this?
You can't claim those specific expenses, but you might be able to claim him as a dependent. If you paid for over half of his total support for the year and he earned less than $4,050 in 2016 you should be okay. (see below for what is included in support) Also, make sure he qualifies in ALL other areas as well. He doesn't have to live with you since he is your son.
Who Can I Claim as a Dependent?
- Lodging (even if your mortgage is paid off)
- Education (including the GI bill)
- Medical and dental care (including insurance and supplementary Medicare premiums)
- Transportation and similar necessities
Support does not include:
- Life insurance premiums
- Funeral expenses
- Federal, state, or local income taxes or Social Security and Medicare taxes paid on a person's own income
- Scholarship grants
- Income made by a disabled person in a sheltered workshop
Still have questions?Make a post