Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Sign on Bonus

I received a 5k sign on Bonus in 2017 that was taxed heavily. I left the company this year and they are asking for the whole 5K back. How do I ensure I receive the tax back I paid on the original 5k?"
2 Replies
Level 15

Sign on Bonus

You will report the payback on your 2018 return. Just make sure you get a valid receipt or whatever as proof of payback. That proof will need to stand up in court should it come to that. (I doubt it will, but that's how important it is to get solid undeniable proof of the payback, unless you have no problem with paying taxes on money you don't get to keep.) Without that proof, you didn't pay it back no matter how much you scream, holler, threaten or yell.


Returning Member

Sign on Bonus

Make sure you get a receipt for sure, just like you would get a pay stub.  The amount you pay back would need to be reduce off your income earned on your W-2.  Any overpaid taxes would need to be refunded to you.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies