Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting two separate 529 college accounts in Colorado

I've made contributions to 2 separate 529 College Invest accounts in Colorado, one for each child. The forms only seem to require reporting the total $ given - no names?

I am the account owner for both. An online instruction seemed to indicate that if there are separate accounts you must file electronically, which I am. But there still  is no input field to add nams

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

That is correct.  You enter the total contributions you made for all beneficiaries, no beneficiary information is needed.    The max lines you can have is 2, one for you and one for your spouse.   The credit is per account owner, not per beneficiary.   On a Married filing Joint return, there could be 2 lines for 2 account owners, husband and wife.   TurboTax already knows your address, so no need to enter it again.

CO Taxpayers
can subtract contributions made to qualifying CollegeInvest accounts and Colorado ABLE programs to the extent the contributions are included in federal taxable income.  If the taxpayer
and/or spouse are not the account owner(s), include the account owner’s name, address, and Social Security Number. The aggregate subtraction for CollegeInvest and ABLE programs is limited to $20,700 ($31,000 MFJ) for each beneficiary.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Correct, it must be filed electronically and the credit is per beneficiary. Here is how to add another.

1. When you enter the information for the first account, you enter the name, social, contribution amount, continue. 
  2. You will see the summary page. 
  3. Select the blue ADD button to enter the next beneficiary. 

Thank you for the quick response; I appreciate it. However, as I understand the rules and instructions what you have described is how you handle contributions to a 529 account owned by someone other than yourself (the contributor).  In that case you have to provide the information about the account owner.  In my situation, I am making contributions to two 529 accounts where I am the owner of the account. The TT form and Colorado tax form only seem to request the total dollar amount contributed with nothing required about the beneficiary of the account. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

That is correct.  You enter the total contributions you made for all beneficiaries, no beneficiary information is needed.    The max lines you can have is 2, one for you and one for your spouse.   The credit is per account owner, not per beneficiary.   On a Married filing Joint return, there could be 2 lines for 2 account owners, husband and wife.   TurboTax already knows your address, so no need to enter it again.

CO Taxpayers
can subtract contributions made to qualifying CollegeInvest accounts and Colorado ABLE programs to the extent the contributions are included in federal taxable income.  If the taxpayer
and/or spouse are not the account owner(s), include the account owner’s name, address, and Social Security Number. The aggregate subtraction for CollegeInvest and ABLE programs is limited to $20,700 ($31,000 MFJ) for each beneficiary.    

Thanks so much!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies