Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband does not have a SSN and because of that I am not able to access the healthcare section, is it a bug?

I am leaving abroad and married to a Non US citizen. Last year I was able to access that page and not this year, why this change?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

My husband does not have a SSN and because of that I am not able to access the healthcare section, is it a bug?

As an expat, living abroad ( and have been there long enough to qualify for Physical Presence Test ) , married to a Non-Resident Alien, you need to file as Married Filing Separate -- it will leave  spouse's income outside of USA taxation. If you have qualified children then you can also file as  Head of Household.  The  software will still ask for your husband's details ( name, SSN etc. )  -- use fictitous SSN like 923-84-1299 or similar.  Then print your return, snopake out the  SSN and hand write in  NRA.  Now sign and mail in the return.   This assumes that your longer term plan is to stay abroad ( Germany ? )

If on the other hand you do plan to come back to USA, you can always agree to have your husband's income be taxed by the USA  by requesting that you both wish him to be treated as a resident alien and include a W-7 form and supporting documents -- this will result in the issuance of  ITIN for him.  Most expats that I know of in similar situation do not do this till they have moved back to USA.

Is there something else I can help you with ?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

As an expat, living abroad ( and have been there long enough to qualify for Physical Presence Test ) , married to a Non-Resident Alien, you need to file as Married Filing Separate -- it will leave  spouse's income outside of USA taxation. If you have qualified children then you can also file as  Head of Household.  The  software will still ask for your husband's details ( name, SSN etc. )  -- use fictitous SSN like 923-84-1299 or similar.  Then print your return, snopake out the  SSN and hand write in  NRA.  Now sign and mail in the return.   This assumes that your longer term plan is to stay abroad ( Germany ? )

If on the other hand you do plan to come back to USA, you can always agree to have your husband's income be taxed by the USA  by requesting that you both wish him to be treated as a resident alien and include a W-7 form and supporting documents -- this will result in the issuance of  ITIN for him.  Most expats that I know of in similar situation do not do this till they have moved back to USA.

Is there something else I can help you with ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies