Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MK2

My daughter is 17, a Sr in HS, live with and 100% supported by wife and I. She had a job all year made over $4159. Why does TT say she is not my dependent.

My daughter turned 17 during this tax year.  She is a full time student; Senior in High School. My wife and I are her parents, she lived with us the entire year and we paid 100% of her living expenses.  She worked a part-time job all year and made over $10,000 which she is saving to pay for her college.  

When I enter her information, if I check the box saying, yes, she had an income over $4,150 it then says she does not qualify as my dependent.

Why would she not qualify?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My daughter is 17, a Sr in HS, live with and 100% supported by wife and I. She had a job all year made over $4159. Why does TT say she is not my dependent.

When you come to the question about whether she paid for over half her own support say NO.  And do not confuse the fact that you do not get the child tax credit with claiming her as a dependent.  You lost the child tax credit when she turned 17.  But she can still be claimed as your dependent for the $500 credit for other dependents.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Best guess is that you answered some questions incorrectly during the interview.  Go back through everything again.  If she was 17 as of 12/31/18 she should qualify for the Other Dependent Tax Credit of $500.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies