Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

olsonhart

Do i still put my kids on my return if i cant claim them as dependents?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you are not the custodial parent who the kids lived with more than half the year and are not claiming the custodial parent benefits and if you are not claiming them as dependents, you should not enter them on your tax return at all.

That depends.

If you are unmarried living with the children and other parent, or you are married filing separately and the other parent is claiming the children this year, don't list them at all.  A certain amount of confusion can result because of how the interview is worded.

If you are divorced or separated and living apart from the other parent and sharing custody, and you have actual physical custody more than half the nights of the year (no matter what your court order says) then you should list the children. Only the custodial parent has the automatic right to claim the children as dependents.  If the other parent is going to claim them as dependents this year, you need to give the other parent a signed form 8332 dependent release.  Then, you list the children on your tax return and answer the questions; you have custody more than half time, the other parent is going to claim them, yes you are giving the other parent a form 8332.   You will not claim the child tax credit but you are still qualified for EIC, the dependent care credit, and head of household status, since those benefits always stay with the custodial parent and can't be waived, shared, transferred or given to the non-custodial parent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies