In 2018 my child Tax credit was $6000.00. Tax year 2019 my child Tax credit was $3000.00, two of my three children turned 18 during 2020 tax year.
I've double checked the information twice all is correct. In addition two of my girls work & filed there 2019 taxes as well?
Looking for answers?
thank you James
TurboTax Support. Here are the qualifications for the Child Tax Credit:
If you have kids, you might qualify for the Child Tax Credit, which can reduce your tax bill by up to $2,000 per qualifying child. The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (aka "tax reform") doubled the per-child credit amount from $1,000 in 2017 and prior tax years.
To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, your child must fit all of these requirements:
- Be under age 17 at the end of the tax year
- Is your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, a grandchild, niece, or nephew)
- Has his or her own Social Security Number
- Children with ITINs don't qualify, but may instead be eligible for the $500 Credit for Other Dependents
- Lived with you for more than half the year
- Didn't support him/herself (didn't pay more than half their own expenses)
- Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien
- Residents of Canada or Mexico wouldn't qualify
We've also got info on the similar Credit for Other Dependents.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"