Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child did not check someone else can claim him as a dependent

My 20 year old full time student son just amended his return because he forgot to check the box that someone can claim him as a dependent. Should I go ahead and file? File at the last day? Get an extension and file AFTER his amendment is approved? Any guidance is appreciated.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry---you have just joined the large club of parents whose ability to e-file has been blocked by their child's mistake.

The ONLY way you can file this year claiming your son is to file by mail.  No amount of waiting for him to amend will help you e-file, even later.   He has put his SSN into the system.  Any attempts to e-file another tax return using his SSN will be rejected this year.  Print, sign and mail your return that claims him. 

He will have to wait for the IRS to fully process his return, then amend.  He has to go to My Info, click his name and change the way he answered the question that asked if someone else can claim him.  He has to say YES.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

File on paper now. It is the least hassle.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The best solution now is for you to file by mail, as the IRS sometimes can take much longer to process your son's amended return to allow you to e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry---you have just joined the large club of parents whose ability to e-file has been blocked by their child's mistake.

The ONLY way you can file this year claiming your son is to file by mail.  No amount of waiting for him to amend will help you e-file, even later.   He has put his SSN into the system.  Any attempts to e-file another tax return using his SSN will be rejected this year.  Print, sign and mail your return that claims him. 

He will have to wait for the IRS to fully process his return, then amend.  He has to go to My Info, click his name and change the way he answered the question that asked if someone else can claim him.  He has to say YES.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hey thanks!! You are actually the person who replied to my question on how to amend his taxes. I appreciate you!!! Snail mail it is. Next year I will drop his taxes off with mine and save a headache. Thank you so much!!!!

I believe there is a bug in the Turbotax software wizard that my son used. He answered the questions correctly but it was not indicated on the form. The question of "Can someone else claim you as a dependent?" was actually never asked. He was only able to indicate he is single and has parental support. Turbo tax has a bug that seemingly is impacting many of us. They don't make it easy to amend either.

On his return there should be this question....

Dep My Info.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies