Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Backdoor Roth IRA Conversion

If I contribute to a traditional IRA and then roll it into a roth, how should I claim that contribution? As an IRA contribution?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

Backdoor Roth IRA Conversion

You have to first tell Turbotax you contributed to a nondeductible traditional IRA,  then enter the 1099-R and tell Turbotax you converted to a Roth.

If you enter the 1099-R first (which is what happens if you follow the step-by-step process) it wants to tax you on the conversion

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

Backdoor Roth IRA Conversion

Hello, can you share a step by step procedure to do what you are saying to do using 2018 premier version.  I followed every step by step process and entered everything but can not find the non deductible steps until the end, but as you state i must not do it as turbotax says.  What do i need to delete seeing i have already entered my 1099-r.    thanks 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings