Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


I filed my W-2 form as a non dependant when I should've been a dependant. Is it too late to fix this? 

2 Replies
New Member


I filed my W-2 form and I put down that I wasn't a dependent but it turns out I was for most of 2019 at least until September. Can I fix this? 


Expert Alumni


Yes, you can fix this by filing an amended return in TurboTax.  Here's how:


In order to file an amended return, make sure that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail by the IRS.


To prepare an amended return through TurboTax, follow these steps:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings