Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage Interest Deduction with two 1098 forms

My home loan was sold in 2023, so I have 2 1098's this year.  I've entered the data from both, and after entering both, Turbo Tax says both are eligible for deductions and shows the total of the 2.  When I'm all done entering all of my deductions and go to Worksheet A, the amount for the Interest Mortgage deduction is only for the first 1098; it should be for both.  I cannot figure out why?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax for Desktop, you can review the calculations for the Mortgage Interest on a few worksheets using Forms Mode. In TurboTax Online, you'll need to print your return, including all worksheets.

Look for Tax & Interest Worksheet, and Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet. In TurboTax Desktop, the second worksheet is accessed by a QuickZoom box under Interest Deductions on the Tax & Interest Worksheet.

The Deductible Home Mortgage Interest (DHMI) Worksheet displays your entries for each mortgage, calculates the average balance, compares this to the limitations, then calculates the percentage that is allowable. Line 22 goes to Schedule A Line 8a.

Reviewing the entries on the DHMI Worksheet is the most efficient way to confirm you have answered the questions accurately and also why you may not see the interest deduction you expected.

Additional Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax for Desktop, you can review the calculations for the Mortgage Interest on a few worksheets using Forms Mode. In TurboTax Online, you'll need to print your return, including all worksheets.

Look for Tax & Interest Worksheet, and Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet. In TurboTax Desktop, the second worksheet is accessed by a QuickZoom box under Interest Deductions on the Tax & Interest Worksheet.

The Deductible Home Mortgage Interest (DHMI) Worksheet displays your entries for each mortgage, calculates the average balance, compares this to the limitations, then calculates the percentage that is allowable. Line 22 goes to Schedule A Line 8a.

Reviewing the entries on the DHMI Worksheet is the most efficient way to confirm you have answered the questions accurately and also why you may not see the interest deduction you expected.

Additional Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies