Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions & credits
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
or Ask a Question
Everyone knows there are tax benefits to having children and dependents and some are pretty amazing! If you’ve ever had questions about the popular Child Tax Credit (CTC) or Earned Income Credit (EIC), this is the place to be! TurboTax does the think... read more
Employee Tax Expert KarenL ‎Posted March 1, 2024
It seems the most popular question at tax time is “Can I deduct this…?”. Of course you don’t want to pay more taxes than you need to; and you want to get all the tax deductions and credits you’re entitled to take. The resources below have helped many... read more
Employee Tax Expert KarenL ‎Posted January 18, 2024
My husband is a victim of the Ponzi-Scheme investment. He invested 500K in 2022 which created a huge tax burden on Federal and MA state income taxes. He could not get a penny out of his investment account to pay for the huge amount of tax a few weeks... read more
eel168 ‎Posted April 19, 2023 | Latest post 4 hours ago by hatchness
The City of LA hit me with a 'late fee' notice. I discontinued my DBA. Also, my royalty income is with companies that are out of state (Tunecore and Sound Exchange). So, is this right? Should I be owing localized taxes?
DIY_Tax_Person ‎Posted Monday | Latest post 6 hours ago by DIY_Tax_Person
US citizens buy and sell property overseas
taoshu ‎Posted Tuesday | Latest post 6 hours ago by pk
I purchased my home May 2012 and lived in it until November 2016. At that time I rented it until I sold it in 2023. Since it was my primary residence initially, can I take the Section 121 exception?
jandan2000 ‎Posted Sunday | Latest post 6 hours ago by AmeliesUncle
Here's my situation:I am a resident alien living in the U.S.My spouse is a non-resident alien residing in China with an ITIN.Our child born in US, who has a U.S. SSN, has spent most of the year outside the U.S. with her mother. My questions are:Can I... read more
gangqu9319 ‎Posted Monday | Latest post 6 hours ago by AmeliesUncle
Lived in Florida home as primary residence Jan - Sep 2023. Moved to Wisconsin Oct 2023. Rented Florida home Oct 2023. I received rental income from the tenants prior to becoming a Wisconsin resident (Sept 2023). With expenses and assets deducted I ha... read more
ddubs82 ‎Posted April 13, 2024 | Latest post 7 hours ago by ddubs82
We are a tackle store, an S corporation, and we sponsor a couple of freshwater anglers to fish tournaments. We pay for their entry fees, lodging costs, and give them product. We use Quickbooks for bookkeeping, so my question is how to we expense thes... read more
JLo1 ‎Posted Tuesday | Latest post 8 hours ago by KristinaK
Received more than 100k from non US parent, some gifts are higher and some are lower than $5k. If the table in 54 (a), (b), (c) is only for gifts above $5k, the total FMV in (c) will not include the all gifts. Correct? Should I enter the total amount... read more
Diegos ‎Posted Tuesday | Latest post 11 hours ago by JotikaT2
Let's assume I've lived in Oregon all my life. I understand that there's a $3,000 limit as to how much capital loss I can carry over to offset my non-capital-gains income in future years. What about capital gains income? Is there a limit on how much ... read more
miggyhsu ‎Posted 13 hours ago | Latest post 12 hours ago by VolvoGirl
Thank you in advance for any useful advice on this issue. Here's the situation and then the question: I'm the recipient (trustee) of my two kids' 529 plans (each has his/her own plans). While one kid is still a dependent and I claimed under me and my... read more
Sanbhu ‎Posted March 30, 2024 | Latest post 15 hours ago by Sanbhu
Hello - earlier I had a question about reporting earnings (box 2) in 1099-Q for my "non-dependent" child (I'm the recipient) and am very thankful to @AmyC of TT for her insightful advice. Now I have a question re reporting earning (Box 2) in 1099-Q f... read more
Sanbhu ‎Posted April 11, 2024 | Latest post 18 hours ago by Hal_Al
As a J-1 visa holder in the U.S., I received a stipend from a U.S. scholarship. Initially, I filed my taxes as a Non-Resident. This year, I became a Resident for tax purposes after meeting the Substantial Presence Test (SPT), prompting me to switch f... read more
malmukhtar ‎Posted April 11, 2024 | Latest post 19 hours ago by Brian292
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Top Contributors
Manage cookies