PandoraS

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

[Edited]
Form 1099 HC is needed to complete your Massachusetts state tax return. You can complete your Massachusetts tax return without one, but you will not be able to e-file that return. You should contact your insurance provider to get a copy of the 1099 HC form before you file your return.

Form 1095 C is an informational document for your federal tax return. There is no specific information from the 1095 C that must be entered into Turbo Tax. You should keep it with your tax papers as it is evidence that you had health insurance.

To complete your Massachusetts state tax return:

• Select the State taxes tab and go through the State interview process
• On the screen, Let's Go Over Your Health Insurance Information, select Continue
• When you come to the interview question When did you have minimum creditable coverage (MCC)? you will select the appropriate option which applies to your Health Insurance coverage
• When you come to the interview question What type of health insurance did you have in 2016? you will be prompted to select either option I had private insurance (including Connector Care) or I had something else
• In your Massachusetts return, enter the insurance company name and your subscriber number, but leave the FID blank. When asked if you received a 1099-HC, answer "No". You will see an error message during the state review. This error will not allow you to e-file, in which case you'll need to print and mail your MA tax return.

To complete the Federal Health Insurance questions:

• If you were covered all year, you will indicate that "I had health insurance coverage all year."
• Because you had insurance through your employer, you will indicate no to " Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016?" You do not need to enter any additional information for the policies that you had through work.

View solution in original post