TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

I want to change a return I've printed, but haven't mailed to the IRS yet

SOLVEDby TurboTaxTurboTax Online3013Updated April 14, 2022

Since you haven't mailed your return in yet, you won't amend your return since it hasn't been filed yet. To change your return:

  1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  3. Select 2021 and then select Add a state (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you back into your return)
  4. You can now add or change your info.
    • Search as needed for things like W-2mortgage interest, or 1099-B to locate the section you need to revise.
  5. When you're done, print the updated return, and mail it. (Be sure to discard the original return you printed; only send the updated return to the IRS.)

Note: Instead of mailing it, you might want to e-file your completed return, since e-filing typically means getting your refund faster (22 days or less) compared to filing by mail (4 to 6 weeks).

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads