TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I amend my federal tax return for this year?

by TurboTax Updated 5 months ago

If you want to change or correct some info on your tax return after you've filed it, you may need to amend your return.

Here are some things to know before you begin:

  • Make sure you really need to amend.
  • Wait until your return has been accepted (or mailed if paper-filing).
  • Use the same TurboTax account you used to file your original return.
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return. Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due.
  • Any changes you make to amend your federal return will automatically be transferred over to your state return.

If you haven't filed yet, you don't need to amend. Just continue working on your return and make whatever changes you need before filing.

To amend an accepted return, either:

  • Search for the item you need to amend (W-2Form 1098-Erental income, etc.) and select the Jump to link that appears to be taken to that section. Follow the screens to enter your information. Or,
  • Restart the amend process by selecting Tax Home and following the screens to enter your information.

On the home screen, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select the year you want to amend.

More like this

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads