There are a few things you need to know before you can start the amendment process:
- To amend your 2021 return, you need to use the same TurboTax account that you used to file your original 2021 return.
- If you don’t see your 2021 return under Your tax returns & documents on the Tax Home screen, you might be in the wrong account. Use our account recovery tool to find all of your accounts.
- Make sure you really need to amend, and that your 2021 return was accepted. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.
- If you don’t need to amend, and instead want to view, print, or download your 2021 return, follow these instructions.
- If you used TurboTax Free Edition, you'll need to add PLUS to amend your return.
When you're ready to amend, select your product below and follow the instructions.
If you want to track the status of your amended return, use the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you filed your amended state return and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.