TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

What if I chose to apply my federal refund to next year's taxes, filed, and later changed my mind?

SOLVEDby TurboTax424Updated April 15, 2022

Don't worry! You have plenty of time to reverse the situation.

Here's what you can do:

  1. First, wait about a week after you've received confirmation that your e-filed return was accepted (or 2–3 weeks after mailing, if you paper-filed)
  2. Then, visit or call your local IRS office (this is the fastest option) or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to explain that you want your applied refund transferred back to the current tax year

You'll get your check refund in approximately 3–4 weeks. Electronic deposit isn't available in these cases.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads