TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

I didn't receive a 1099-MISC, 1099-B, or 1099-K for my Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency earnings, do I have to report them?

SOLVEDby TurboTax349Updated December 28, 2021

Yes. If you were paid in Bitcoin or another cryptocurrency, you should report your earnings as income (like you would if you had been paid in cash). You'll also report any new cryptocurrency you received from a hard fork followed by an airdrop or other transfer as ordinary income.

If you hold Bitcoins or other cryptocurrencies as a capital asset, you must treat them as property for tax purposes. If you sold them for profit, you must report earnings regardless of whether or not you received a tax form.

Keep in mind: If you've already filed a return and didn't report your cryptocurrency earnings, you'll need to amend it.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads