To claim the Recovery Rebate Credit, you must file a 2021 tax return, even if you had no taxable income and aren’t required to file a return.
First, find the exact amount you received for the third stimulus payment.
- On your IRS Letter 6475, or
- By visiting the IRS View Your Account Information page and creating or accessing your account, or
- In your bank statements. You might be able to search your online statements for deposits made by the IRS or US Treasury
When you have it, go to TurboTax.com, scroll down, and select Start for free under File your own taxes.
- If you've used TurboTax before, sign in using the same user ID and password. If you're new to TurboTax, create an account
- Answer the initial questions to get your return started and fill in your personal info
- Once you've finished, select Federal Review from the top menu
- Answer Yes or No on the Did you get a third stimulus payment? screen
- You’ll be asked about the amount of the third stimulus payment you received. Confirm or update the amount shown as it compares to your information.
- Continue through to file your return. When you get to the option to download and save it, you'll see the amount on line 30 of the 1040
If you have no taxable income in your return, you’ll have to print your finished return and mail it in.
For more info on the Recovery Rebate Credit, go here.