Rejection SEIC-F1040-506-02: On Schedule EIC, the qualifying child's Social Security number (Line 2) cannot be used more than once in a tax return or on another return
This occurs when you try to claim the Earned Income Credit (EIC) for a child on your return, but someone else has already claimed the EIC for that child on a different return.
Usually the custodial parent gets to claim the EIC, even if the non-custodial parent is claiming the Child Tax Credit per divorce decree or other agreement.
If you feel you're the parent who is entitled to claim the EIC, go ahead and paper-file your return, as you won't be able to successfully e-file it.
Eventually, the IRS will contact both parents to determine who gets to claim the EIC, and the unentitled parent will have to repay any taxes owed, as well as penalties and interest, that resulted from the duplicate EIC claim.
How to remove your child from the EIC
- Sign in to your TurboTax account and select the Fix my return button
- At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, select My Info on the left menu
- On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit next to the dependent in question
- Continue until you reach the How many months did [child] live with you in 2022? screen. On this screen, select 5 months (or less) under [Child] lived with me for..., and then Continue
- Keep answering the questions until you get to the Your children and others you support screen, then select Done
- Note: If you're told that your dependent doesn't qualify, go back and make sure you've answered the questions correctly (especially the ones about living expenses)
- Now select File in the left menu
- At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Don't select Fix my return, as you've already done that)
- Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process