If you're trying to e-file with one or more dependents on your return, but somebody else has already claimed you as a dependent and filed, you'll get rejected with IND-544 because dependents aren't allowed to claim their own dependents.
You can either remove your dependent(s) so you can e-file, or leave everything as-is and print and mail your return.
If you leave the dependents on your return and print and file the IRS will eventually contact you and the other taxpayer to straighten things out. One of you will be required to repay any additional taxes, plus penalties and interest, that were attributed to the unqualified dependent(s). That person will also need to file an amended return.
To remove dependents:
- Sign in to TurboTax and select Fix my return.
- On the next screen, select My Info from the left menu.
- Scroll down to the first dependent and select the trash can icon to the right of Edit.
- Answer Yes to confirm you want to delete this dependent.
- Repeat these steps for any additional dependents. When there are none left, select Continue.
- Keep going until you've returned to the Personal info summary screen and select Continue.
- Select File from the left menu to continue through and refile your return.