TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I dispute incorrect information on my TransUnion credit report?

SOLVEDby TurboTaxUpdated 3 days ago

If you find an error in your TransUnion credit report, we can help you dispute it through our Direct Dispute™ tool or you can dispute it through TransUnion. You should only file a dispute if you believe there is incorrect information on your TransUnion report.

See more detail here: How to dispute an error on your credit report

If you find an error on your TransUnion report, consider also checking your other credit reports for errors. You may find your Equifax credit report on Intuit Credit Karma, and you can request your credit reports from each of the major bureaus at AnnualCreditReport.com.

Before you file a dispute with TransUnion

Before you begin your dispute, make sure you have the most up-to-date TransUnion report handy.

Creditors typically report information to the credit bureaus every 30 days, so your most recent credit activity may not be reflected on your report yet. Depending on the type of error you’ve spotted, you may want to wait a month for a full credit cycle to complete to make sure this information is the most current. That said, if you identify an error that may be fraudulent, you may consider acting sooner.Using Direct Dispute™, you can dispute items like the ownership of a particular account, or the accuracy of certain items on the account — like your balance, due dates or status.

If you want to dispute any personal information — like your name, address, employment, date of birth, SSN or telephone number — you’ll need to visit the TransUnion dispute FAQ for options.

If you see an inquiry you didn’t authorize, you can contact the company that placed the inquiry and request an investigation, or you can click here for TransUnion fraud-victim resources.

If you need to add supporting documentation for an account or public record you’re disputing, you will need to open a dispute through TransUnion's Dispute Credit Report page, because you won’t be able to submit documents with your request through Credit Karma. 

How to file a Direct Dispute™ through Credit Karma

  1. On your TransUnion Credit Report open the account you’d like to dispute
  2. Select Dispute an Error
  3. You’ll be prompted to complete a form regarding ownership and accuracy. You can choose to dispute either the ownership or the accuracy of an account, but not both.
  • Ownership: Choose this if the account is not yours.
  • Accuracy: Choose this if the item on the report belongs to you, but the details are wrong

See more detail here: How to dispute errors on your TransUnion credit report with Credit Karma’s Direct Dispute™ feature

What to expect after filing a Direct Dispute™ through Credit Karma

After you send a Direct Dispute™ to TransUnion, you’ll be able to check on the status of your dispute in your Dispute Center.

TransUnion typically completes its investigation within 30 days of the date they receive your request. TransUnion will review your dispute request and let you know if the item(s) will stay on your report or be modified or removed. Filing a dispute request does not guarantee that TransUnion will change your report.

You will not be able to cancel or modify a dispute once you’ve submitted it. In order to cancel or modify a dispute, you’ll need to contact TransUnion.

How to file a dispute with TransUnion

Go to TransUnion's Dispute Credit Report page to file a dispute with TransUnion if you want to dispute personal information or you need to provide supporting documentation.

What to expect after filing a dispute with TransUnion

After you file a dispute with TransUnion, they will review your dispute request and let you know if the item(s) will stay on your report, be modified or be removed. TransUnion typically completes its investigation within 30 days of the date they receive your request, so please be patient while the investigation is in progress.

Please be aware, filing a dispute does not guarantee TransUnion will change your report.

Seeing changes on Credit Karma

Whether you file a dispute through Direct Dispute™ through Credit Karma or a dispute through TransUnion, if TransUnion makes a change to your report as a result of your dispute, you’ll see it on Credit Karma after we get the updated information from TransUnion. Keep in mind that Credit Karma isn’t able to make the change to your credit report, and we depend on TransUnion to provide us with any updated information.

What if I don’t agree with the results?

Here are some actions you can take if you don’t agree with the dispute results.

  • Once you’ve selected the item you’d like to dispute, hit Continue
  • Accept Direct Dispute Terms and Conditions by checking the box
  • Select  Submit My Dispute to submit to your Dispute Request to TransUnion
    • Hover over My Overview on your Credit Karma dashboard to access your Dispute Center.
  • Go to TransUnion’s site and submit a new dispute.
    • You’ll be able to attach supporting documents to your dispute if you submit it directly with TransUnion.
  • Dispute directly with the company that reported the information to TransUnion.
    • You can find the contact information under the account details section of your credit report.
  • Add a 100-word statement to your TransUnion report.
    • You have the right to send TransUnion a note of 100 words or fewer describing your situation or why you disagree with the result, and TransUnion will add this statement to your report.
    • Note: If you do add a statement, the entire statement will be seen by anyone who can access your report (like banks, lenders, and potential employers who you may consent to checking credit). Because of this, you may want to exclude any medical information or any details that you would want kept private.
  • File a complaint about the company reporting the account or about TransUnion with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or with your state’s attorney general office.

Can I use Direct Dispute™ to dispute errors on my Equifax report?

Our Direct Dispute™ tool is not available for disputing any errors that you may identify on your Equifax report, but you can file a dispute with Equifax. See more on that here: How do I dispute incorrect information on my Equifax credit report?

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads