In 2021, even if you didn’t itemize, you were able to deduct up to $300 in cash donations ($600 if Married Filing Jointly) made to qualifying organizations. This deduction is no longer allowable in 2022.
If you are preparing or amending your 2021 tax return and get an error message when you indicate you’ve made $300 in donations in 2021, it might be due to past state return donations being automatically transferred over to your current return. This causes the donation amount on your return to not match with what you’ve listed.
To fix this, use these instructions to review your 2021 charitable contributions and add any additional donations.
- Sign in to TurboTax and open any section of your return
- Search for donations and select the Jump To link in your search results
- Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity in 2021?
- If you have an account with ItsDeductible Online, you can import your donations. If not, answer No and enter your donations manually on the next screen
- On the Review All Your Charities screen, make sure the total donation amount listed equals the total deductions entered for 2021