Ttax said I need to mail in my tax return even though I efiled. Question response said file an extension that doesn't make since my efile went through.

Trying this again. I completed my taxes and efiled successfully. Got the normal response to watch for an acceptance or not from the IRS. TTax had a comment that I also need to mail it in. My original question for this community was "am I now late?" since I cant get it mailed in time. The answer I got back was that I need to file an extension. But that doesn't seem to make sense, because I just efiled successfully before the deadline. Seems odd to file an extension when I just efiled my return. Ttax gave no explanation as to why I needed to also mail in my return, or if I am now late, or anything. I guess I just wait now to see if it gets rejected, then follow instructions? First time this has ever happened to me, I've always efiled at the last moment with no issue. TTax gave my no reason or explanation as to why this happened, and whether or not I am now late even though I efiled in time (but didn't mail in time).

Answer

You can look up your e-file Status using the e-file status lookup tool. Or you can get proof that you e-filed on time by following the instructions below:

As long as you transmitted your return before 11:59 PM on the day taxes were due, your return is considered timely filed even if it doesn't get accepted until after the deadline.

You can show you e-filed before the deadline using an Electronic Postmark, which is a time stamp that shows when your return was transmitted. You can find it in TurboTax. See below for instructions on how to find it for your current or prior year return.

(If you're concerned because you haven't yet received your refund, there are many reasons why a refund may be delayed, even if you filed on time.)

Current tax year

TurboTax Online

Simply check your e-file status online (you’ll need your Social Security number and zip code) to retrieve your filing status history. You can then capture a screenshot or print it out from your web browser.

If the link above doesn't work, follow these steps:

1. Open your return.
  2. On the first screen, scroll down and select Your tax returns and documents.
  3. Select the current year.
  4. Select View efile details.
  5. You can capture a screenshot or print this screen from a web browser.

TurboTax mobile app

1. Open your return.
  2. On the first screen, scroll down to View efile details.
  3. You can use your phone's screen capture feature to save an image with these details.

TurboTax CD/Download software

1. First, open your return.
  2. Then, from File menu in TurboTax, select Check Electronic Filing Status.
  3. Select Print.

Prior tax year

For returns before the current year that you e-filed with TurboTax: 

1. Open your return.
  2. On the first screen (it will say Take me to my return), scroll down and select Your tax returns and documents.
  3. Select the year you e-filed.
  4. Select View efile details.
  5. You can then capture a screenshot or print it out from your web browser.

L5rLnn7d1
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L5rLnn7d1_US_en_US

Please see this FAQ for additional information if your return was still pending on the 15th.

If your return is pending
You should be fine. Your submitted e-filed return doesn't need to be accepted on April 15, 2019 for it to be considered on-time.

• As long as you transmitted your return by 11:59 p.m. local time on April 15, 2019, you should be fine.

If your return is rejected
If the status of your return is Rejected on April 15, 2019, you'll have through April 20, 2019 to re-submit your federal return by e-file, or mail your return. More info and instructions

IAS10869
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L1cHxYjhI_US_en_US

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TurboTax TaxPro

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default