I claim my child as a dependent. He earned 10,560.00 and paid 700.00 in Fed Tax. How do I file so I can claim him and get him his refund of Fed taxes paid?

Hi, My son is 17 and I claim him as a dependent on my tax return. His total earnings for 2018 was 10,568.00. If I understand correctly, TurboTax says he doesn't have to be included on my tax return because his wages were under 12,000.00 earned income. 

He paid 711.00 Federal Income Tax. Being it says he doesn't have to file if earnings are under 12,000.00, I'd like to know the following:

1) Can I still claim him as a dependent and get the deduction if I submit a separate Federal Income Tax under his name to get him his Federal Income Taxes paid returned, if he is eligible for a refund?

2)  What do you suggest I do in this situation? 

Thanks for your help!

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default