Should I file my taxes separately or jointly with a J1 visa and in adjustments of statuts for Green card holder?

I was in J1 visa until November 2018 and I got married with a French resident alien in July 2018. We are still in pending to receive our Green card which was approved at the end of 2018. We don't have the Green card yet. We are in adjustments of statuts and still in pending with an EAD. How do we fill our taxes for 2018, jointly or separately? May I fill with Sprintax like 2017 and mentioned my mariage? Thank you for your help. I am totally  lost. 

Answer

You will have to file separately again.  You both are still considered as a nonresident.  Per IRS, you are treated as passing the green card test hence a US resident ONLY IF you are given the status by the USCIS with an alien registration card on the Form I-551, the  United States Permanent Resident Card .  See  Green Card Test .

Since TurboTax does not support nonresidents, you can visit Sprintax like last year.  

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
TurboTaxLina , MST, EA
TurboTax TaxPro

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default