schollarship and grants

I am a fulltime graduate student who receives a stipend each year for living expenses etc.

Jan through May 2018, my stipend was paid by the university. Taxes were withheld and all earnings for this period ($15k) were reported on a W2.

From Jun through Dec 2018, I switched to and was paid by an outside fellowship. My university does not withhold nor provide documents detailing this pay. This amount totaled $24k ($22k from outside fellowship organization and $2k bonus from my university).

Along with my pay, my university covers my tuition, fees, and healthcare premiums. This information is detailed in a 1098T they provide. The 1098T includes $52k in scholarship and $46k in qualified education expenses (the difference between the two values is my healthcare premiums and some fees, all of which are nondeductible). No portion of my pay described above is included on this 1098T.

I enter the 1098T into Turbotax. I then proceed to say “Yes” to the prompt “Let us know if you have a scholarship, grant or any of these other types of aid:”. Below this prompt, it shows my 1098T scholarship of $52k. In the “Other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships” box I enter $24k (the value from above).

The next prompt asks, “Was any of the scholarship income not designated to pay 2018 education expenses?” I choose “Yes” and it asks “How much of the $76k received… was not designated for 2018 expense?” Here, I respond, $30k, which is the difference on my 1098T, $6k, (eg $52k minus $46k) + $24k (money earned from fellowship). Is this correct?

I hit continue and the next question is about room and board. It asks how much of the $76k was used to pay for research, travel, clerical help, or equipment. Again, I write $30k. Is this correct?

Thanks!

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default