need help with 1099misc

Turbo Tax is categorizing the amount on my 1099-misc as income and is requesting Business ID, etc. I am retired and I do not work. My financial institution describes it as Offers and Promotions. The way I got these is by depositing money in the financial institution and I received cash and also in one case an Apple iPad. So it is not work. I moved this amount and added to my interest 1099-INT amount since I think it is more like interest than work but I can not get rid of questions regarding the business. What is the fix. Thx 

Answer

Reporting 1099-MISC (box 3) that is not self-employment income

Under the Wages & Income tab (or Personal Income tab) scroll down to Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.

Enter the 1099-MISC exactly as printed, and then Continue.

Enter the reason you got this money – be it scholarship, bonus, streaking butt naked across the 50 yard line of the super bowl, whatever. Then continue.

Select None of these apply, then Continue.

Select No, it didn’t involve work….. and Continue.

Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.

Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money, then Continue.

Select NO, then Continue.

Click the DONE button, and that does it.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Ttse