I made 2 years of contributions and conversions for a backdoor Roth in 2018 and I'm seeing a tax cost in turbotax, what am I doing wrong?

I made a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution in early 2018 for my 2017 tax year contribution.  I made another nondeductible IRA contribution later in 2018 for my 2018 tax year contribution.  

Now I have an $11K 1099R for 2018, and when I enter into turbotax I am paying a tax for my backdoor roth, which I don't believe should be the case.    I'm entering my basis as $0 at the end of 2017, since I did not make the 2017 contribution until 2018.  My basis at the end of the year I also have as $0, since it was all converted.  I feel like I messed up somewhere along the way.

2015 Contributed for 2015 and converted in 2015

2016  Contributed in early 2017 and converted in early 2017

2017  Contributed in early 2018 and converted in early 2018

2018  Contributed in mid-2018 and converted in mid-2018

Answer

"I'm entering my basis as $0 at the end of 2017"

That's incorrect.  Your nondeductible contribution for 2017 ware required to have been reported on line 1 of your 2017 Form 8606 and should have propagated through to line 14.  The amount on line 14 of your 2017 Form 8606 is the amount of your basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions for 2017 and must appear on line 2 of your 2018 Form 8606 to be added to your nondeductible traditional IRA contribution for 2018 on line 1.

If you did not file 2017 Form 8606 reporting the nondeductible traditional IRA contribution for 2017, you must do so.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default